Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thoughts on Marrying Young


Preparing for the trip to L.A for my cousin's wedding, has me thinking about my own nuptials and what we went through almost 7 years ago.  It was a small (size and budget) wedding, but all our favorite people were in attendance and got to witness our vows before God 'til death do us part.'

We were 22 years old and though I wasn't the youngest bride ever, I was one of the first of my friends to get married and feel like marrying young has given me some valuable insight.

Brian and I will literally grow old together.  We have decades ahead of us that we will meet together.  On the eve of my 30th birthday this November; we have spanned our teens, gone through our twenties and now begin our thirties. Side-by-side.  I am honored to have grown up with this man by my side.

Our styles, tastes and preferences have changed and will continue to change but our devotion to one another is solid and unwavering.  There have been highs and there have been lows but keeping our covenant and knowing God blesses marriage keeps us as one.

As we mature and grow older, so does our love.  It is constantly evolving, changing, deepening.  I find comfort knowing I will look into Brian's eyes the rest of my life.  The road to get to Brian was challenging but for the struggle it is that more rewarding.

Watching Brian as a father has completely taken my breath away.  We both have less than ideal relationships with our own father's so seeing him love and dote on our daughters is beautiful.  The father-daughter relationships he has with them makes me jealous in the best possible way.  I look forward to the (wayyy) future and seeing grandbabies come into the mix.  I already know I want to be called Granny Smith ;)

I know not everyone meets their future husband at 15 in high school.  I know not everyone gets that second chance of reconnecting with a friend and realizing you were destined to be together.  I know not all love stories have happily ever afters.  What I do know is our story was written by God Himself and for that I am truly thankful.


Linking up with Annie, Beth and Vanessa.
Pinterest_Hover Instagram Google_Plus Facebook
Email Twitter Goodreads Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post!! I was 20 and Eric was 22 when we wed, and I couldn't agree with what you've said more! Marrying young was the best decision for us and I wouldn't change it for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! I, too, got married young. I was 20, and my husband was 21. Nobody thought we would make it, but here we are, 4 kids later! Marriage can be so difficult, but you're doing it well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! And great job to you too! I feel "being young" is looked down on and it shouldn't be. We have to celebrate all the reasons we chose to say "I do" young :)

      Delete
  3. OH I love this! So sweet. I was one of the first to get married out of my friends too, and I was 25. You two are so cute together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You make my day and put a smile on my face :) I respond to every comment so let's start a conversation, shall we?!